2020 was indeed a rollercoaster of a year for the world, and the fixed wireless industry was no different. On one hand, public health regulations and lockdowns made it difficult for businesses to operate. On the other, industry-wide optimism was at an all-time high given the massive surge in demand for connectivity through high-speed broadband. Most importantly, the Wireless Internet Service Providers Association (WISPA), the advocacy organization for over 1000 members, continued its great work despite the pandemic-induced restrictions. And while lobbying efforts adapted to the needs of the time, the biggest impact the pandemic had was on in-person events organized by WISPA. WISPA had to cancel WISPAMERICA 2020, one of its flagship events, and significantly curtail its annual Las Vegas convention, WISPAPALOOZA, to comply with the prevailing laws. These events are not only important to generate much-needed resources for WISPA, but also provide an invaluable opportunity for the industry to come together. This new year brings with it new surprises, one of which is the return of WISPAMERICA 2021 as an in-person event, with all the grandeur of before but now with new safety precautions!
WISPAMERICA 2021: Here’s Everything You Need to Know
1. In-Person and Online!
WISPAMERICA 2021 will take place both in-person and online in order to give everyone from the fixed wireless industry the opportunity to learn and gain valuable experience. The three-day event starts on April 27th and runs through April 29th. Vendors and organizers will congregate on April 26th to set everything up.
2. Detailed Agenda with Top-Quality Speakers
Like any WISPA event, a tremendous amount of value comes from the variety of sessions across business, technical, regulatory, financing, operational, and other functional areas that are available for participants to attend. This year, WISPAMERICA 2021 will be no different.
More than 50 sessions will be available in breakout fashion for the attendees to choose from. Here are some of the sessions that we’re most excited about:
- New Broadband Mapping Requirements are Coming: Broadband maps are a key focus area for FCC this year and this session will highlight all about the new requirements and how they impact WISPs.
- LTE – Is It Right for Me? To LTE or not is a big business decision for many WISPs and this session talks about the good and bad with that decision and what lessons other WISPs have learned from their LTE journey.
- Federal Funding During Pandemic: There’s a lot of government funding available for WISPs to serve the critical need for connectivity, and it’s pertinent that you know about the new and existing programs on offer.
- Competing Against Starlink, Cable Cos and Others: WISPs are used to competition from cable companies and other incumbent telcos. Starlink is a new addition to the mix with improved satellite technology and a lot of marketing resources so it’s important to know how WISPs can continue to stay relevant. This is a must-attend session!
- Network Monitoring Beyond Up and Down: Traditional network monitoring deals with the status of network elements (APs, routers, SMs) and whether they are up or down (on or off). While this is important, it doesn’t tell you anything about the end user’s real-world experience. In today’s competitive world, in order to survive and thrive, it’s important to you to know whether you’re delivering the best subscriber experience or not. That comes with a proactive approach to network monitoring that is focused on the subscriber, not elements in your network. Attend this session to learn more about this important technical subject.
3. Networking at Its Best (and Safest)
Sprinkled throughout the three-day agenda are exhibit hall and lunch hours to provide attendees with a great opportunity to network with others. Most WISPs agree that the value of in-person networking is hard to replicate virtually and one can gain a lot from the experiences of other operators as they go through similar challenges. Here’s a useful article written by our friends at VISP.net about maximizing ROI from an event like WISPAMERICA.
And because we’re still in the middle of a pandemic, WISPA and the hotel authorities are making sure that networking will be safe by implementing mask mandates, hand sanitizer dispensers, and guidelines on social distancing.
4. Latest and Greatest of Technology on Display and Offer
An integral part of a WISPA event is the exhibit hall with a full house of the leading industry vendors showcasing the leading products and services to serve fixed wireless operators. This year will be no different!
WISPAMERICA 2021 will see over 50 vendors and exhibitors with wireless connectivity solutions, hardware and software services, and much more. Make sure to check out the exhibit hall layout here to bookmark the ones that you would like to see! As always, Preseem will be exhibiting our WISPA award-winning Quality of Experience (QoE) platform in booth 521. You can meet our representative during the exhibit hall times or even book a private 1-1 meeting to have a detailed discussion.
5. Must-Attend Event If You Can
In conclusion, WISPAMERICA 2021 promises to be three amazing days of enjoying unparalleled access to industry information, functional knowledge, alongside networking with peers and experts and gaining first-hand experience of the vendor equipment and services.
Given the events of last year, for those who are willing to travel, WISPAMERICA2021 will provide tons of value that will help you grow your WISP business and should definitely be an event on your to-do list!
Don’t forget to meet Preseem in booth 521 or book a private 1-1 meeting outside exhibit hours by clicking here! We’ll be waiting.