Preseem Access Point Shaping
Preseem’s Quality of Experience (QoE) optimized Access Point (AP) Shaping was developed as a result of extensive feedback from Preseem’s customers and to solve a critical need for Wireless Internet Service Providers (WISPs). It’s a unique feature that allows network managers to support a higher number of subscribers per access point while maintaining a good QoE.
Preseem’s AP Shaping leverages active queue management (AQM) techniques based on FQ-CoDel to ensure that all subscribers get fair access to the available access point capacity.
AP Shaping in a typical wireless network can help:
- Support more subscribers per access point
- Fix ‘my-internet-feels-slow’ complaints on congested sectors
- Delay network investments (while maintaining a good subscriber experience)
It’s a given that happy customers don’t leave. Consequently, this helps WISPs to keep their churn rates under control and to increase revenue.
Using AP Shaping in a Wireless Network: An Example
In any network, there’s often a tradeoff between throughput and latency. As you push more bandwidth through access points, they start getting congested, leading to buffering, latency, and loss. This leads to a poor subscriber experience.
The key is to find the sweet spot between throughput and latency. Preseem QoE monitoring helps find the right balance. Our QoE optimized shaping also ensures that all subscribers get a good experience within the bandwidth allocated to the access point.
In this scenario, the AP (Ubiquiti Rocket 5AC Prism) for a WISP customer was congested and adding 150 ms of latency at 50 Mbit.
By reducing the throughput to 40 Mbit using Preseem’s AP shaping, the latency came down to 100 ms. Consequently, subscribers experienced a much ‘faster-feeling’ internet experience, leading to a reduction in support calls and complaints.
How to Set up AP Shaping Limits in Preseem
Setting up access point bandwidth limits in Preseem is simple.
- Just go to the daily view of your Wireless Summary and select the access point you wish to configure.
- Once in the access point view, click on the configure icon in the top row.
- Enter the desired values of upstream and downstream limits for this access point, check the ‘enable shaping’ option, and hit save.
With just a couple of clicks, shaping on the selected access point will be active.
You can also watch the video below to follow these steps.