WISPAMERICA 2018: Five Must-Attend Sessions
WISPAMERICA, one of the flagship annual events hosted by the Wireless Internet Service Providers Association (WISPA), is returning for its sixth year. This time around, the event will be held in Birmingham, Alabama from March 6-9, 2018. WISPA’s previous event, WISPAPALOOZA 2017, was a huge success with a record-breaking 1,800+ attendees. WISPAMERICA 2018 is also expected to break new ground when it comes to attendee numbers.
The three-day event will see the participation of WISPs, industry experts, consultants and over 85 exhibitors with the latest product and service innovations for the fixed wireless industry.
WISPAMERICA 2018 will feature a main conference and exhibition hall, along with events and training sessions by equipment manufacturers, tower-climbing service providers, and other sponsors.
The packed conference agenda includes over 25 training sessions that cover many aspects of running a WISP business. Throw in some unique animal farm sessions sponsored by leading vendors and you have one full schedule!
All the sessions are very well planned and cater to a unique aspect of the WISP business. However, it’s not always practical for one person or a small team to attend every session. That’s why we spent some time going through the full schedule in detail and coming up with some must-attend sessions based on the current market trends and our experience within the fixed wireless community.
1. Business: Is LTE the right technology for you?
- When: Tuesday, March 6, 2018, 2:15 – 3:15 p.m. (Session 1)
- Why: LTE and the latest product innovations by equipment vendors are top of mind for almost all operators these days. As such, WISPA will explore the topic and highlight the best use cases for its members.
2. Advanced Tech: Advanced Quality of Experience (QoE)
- When: Tuesday, March 6, 2018, 2:15 p.m. – 3:15 p.m. (Session 1)
- Why: It’s critical for WISPs to understand how QoE impacts their subscribers and is directly related to their profitability and growth. Also, Dan Siemon, co-founder of Preseem will be on the panel, and he’ll share his insights on the latest in QoE monitoring and optimization, including plan enforcement and managing high-bandwidth applications effectively.
3. Marketing: Grow Your Business with Guerrilla Marketing
- When: Tuesday, March 6, 2018, 3:45 p.m. – 4:45 p.m. (Session 2)
- Why: Pay-per-click ads, Facebook, Twitter marketing, banners, road shows, flyers, print ads. As marketing channels expand, so does the complexity. With growing competition within each channel, it’s getting harder and harder to stand out as a service provider. Enter Guerrilla Marketing, meaning innovative, unconventional and low-cost techniques to obtain maximum exposure. Whether this means making door hangers with tested speeds or an in-mall promotion, it’s a great opportunity to learn how other ISPs use unconventional techniques to grow their business.
4. Business: Other Ways to Make Money – Backups, VoIP, Mail Servers, IPTV
- When: Wednesday, March 7, 2018, 8 a.m. – 9:15 a.m. (Session 3)
- Why: Many WISPs have grown their business on the back of established value-added services like VoIP, mail servers, IPTV, and others. This session will identify ways for providers to diversify their services and offer newer solutions to their customers to help them grow.
5. Regulatory: Net Neutrality Now: Enforcement and Compliance after Title II
- When: Thursday, March 8, 2018, 9:45 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.
- Why: With the FCC voting in favor of repealing Obama-era policies on Net Neutrality, the topic is one of the most hotly contested around today. From a wireless ISP perspective, it’s critical to understand how this impacts your network from an operational point of view. This session seeks to clarify the changes and discuss impact.
Bonus Event: Exhibit Hall Reception
- When: Wednesday, March 7, 2018, 4:45 p.m. – 6:45 p.m.
- Why: You can choose from 85 exhibitors displaying the latest products and services for the fixed wireless industry at the show. It gives you an opportunity to not only learn about new products, but also make personal connections with vendor companies.
Also, there’s even more opportunities to network during lunch hours, “speed dating” events, hospitality suites and social gatherings hosted by vendor companies. If this is your first time, you’ll realize that many unofficial events can lead to long-lasting friendships and business alliances!
Finally, if you’re able to find some downtime, you can always spend some time visiting downtown Birmingham. The city has a lot to offer in terms of historical landmarks and some popular restaurants. Check out this for more.
If you’re interested to know more about QoE monitoring and optimization for your network, make your way to Booth # 419 in the Exhibit Hall during WISPAMERICA 2018 between Tuesday, March 6th and Thursday, March 8th and chat with the friendly Preseem team!